He thereafter studied for a BA degree at the University Of The Western Cape, but left in his second year to start teaching at the Langeberg Sekondêre Skool in Robertson.
In 1980 he started studying at the Onderwyserskollege Suid-Kaapland and achieved the POD III diploma. During this time he was editor of the college newspaper, played for the rugby team, primarius of the hostel and head student in 1982.
He started teaching at Worcester Secondary School in 1983 and was acting principal from 2006 until July 2010, when he came to Gansbaai Academia as principal.
During his teacher years he remained an active student himself and achieved the following:
- 1992 – BA degree at Unisa
- 1995 – B.Ed in Education Law
- 1996 – Started M.Ed in Education Law at Unisa and achieved the post-degree Diploma in Education Law
- 2008 – Advanced Cerificate In Education at the University Of Cape Town
- Presently he is studying towards an LLB(Law) at Unisa
There are many highlights in his career, but a few rate as very important:
- Increased the pass rate of matriculants in 2009 from 64% to 92%. For this he received a certificate on behalf of Worcester Secondary School from premier Helen Zille.
- A Worcester matric student, Charlotte Le Fleur, won the national debating competition in 2010 when he was the principal.
- Appointment as principal at Gansbaai Academia in July 2010
- Keynote speaker at the 2010 awards evening of the Department of Correctional Sevices.
- In 2010 and 2011 he received the award for Excellence In School Leadership from Enlighten Trust
- In 2013 he received a Mayoral Award for Achievers of Excellence in Overstrand.
He serves as a member of the Board Of Trustees of Enlighten Trust since 2013 and is also a founding member of Gansbaai Youth Action.
In his busy life he still finds time for other interests and belongs to the following organisations:
- Birdlife of South Africa
- Botanical Gardens Of South Africa (Kirstenbosch)
- Education Management Association Of South Africa (EMASA)
Catharina Maricke Fortuin (nee’ September) wat voorheen die departementshoof vir Curriculum by Academia was.
Sy het in 1988 by Steinkopf Sekondêr gematrikuleer voordat sy haar BA en B. Ed kwalifikasies aan die Universiteit Weskaap verwerf het. Sy tree toe tot die onderwys in 1993. Sy behaal haar hoogste kwalifikasie van M.Ed in Aksienavorsing en Skoolverbetering in 2001. Tans is sy besig om vir GOS: Leierskap te studeer.
Sy is getroud met Michael wat ‘n kurrikulumadviseur vir Wiskunde & Wiskundige Geletterdheid is en hulle het een dogter van 9 jaar oud.